> Because the version number is just more complicated? The details have been ...

Nope, the whole point is it shouldn't. If that has to be enforced why adding "marketing alert" to it? Why choosing something complex over something simple?

In the correct world (mine where unicorns live freely) I should be able to retrieve the code that goes with an installed package just using that version and rebuild it (in a repeatable way)!

Or you're talking about a "label" instead a version? In which case you shouldn't really compare them!