Some further analysis of the problem:

Mercurial is (and should be) installed system-wide.

The 'hg' command (at least my homebrew install) uses the normal shebang
line

"#!/usr/bin/env python"

When using virtualenv and python2.7, this works fine.

When using virtualenv or venv and python3.3, then the following happens:

- The 'python' command gets redirected to python3.
- Then the system mercurial is run with the wrong interpreter.

That finally made me try to install mercurial using pip, and that caused the
question from below.

But actually, the "bad thing" IMHO is the naming clash introduced by the
symlinks that v(irtual)env is setting:

Why does it ignore the otherwise clear distinction between python and python3 ?

And who is responsible to make things "right":
Should virtualenv avoid this naming problem,
or should the mercurial installer become more carefully specify its interpreter?

In any case, this is pretty annoying, and hard to explain to users.
What fixing do you recommend as a workaround?

cheers - chris