Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Vinay's distlib has taken the wheel spec at its word, runs an
> unmodified "install" command with all the various paths set to
> wheel-compatible distname-1.0.data/scripts etc., and converts the
> .egg-info directory to .dist-info the same as bdist_wheel's final
> step.

Right, except there's no conversion of .egg-info to .dist-info in distlib
itself. That's done by the separate wheeler.py demonstration script, which
uses vanilla pip to install to a holding location, converts the .egg-info to
.dist-info and then builds the wheel from that.

At installation time, the wheel's .dist-info contents are moved to the
installation site's site-packages, except for WHEEL, which is omitted,
and RECORD which is recreated.

> All wheel does is it takes a basic assumption of distutils2 (avoid
> running setup.py), rearranges it slightly (avoid running setup.py at
> install time) and magically people seem to like it. I wanted lxml to
> compile faster and wound up with a distutils escape hatch. Now I think

A happy accident, then!

> that avoiding running *distutils* at install time is much more
> important than avoiding setup.py.
>

> It's just the 1.0 release. There's no hurry to write the document
> entitled "PEP 376 is now the/a standard *interchange* format for
> [snip]
> third-party products to do everything else" are higher up on the Grand
> Python Packaging Plan or GP3 (tm) to-do list.

I suppose you're right, but I want to make as much progress as I can while I
still have the time I can spend on this, and while the grey cells haven't
succumbed to packaging fatigue ...  :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip