On Mar 04, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

>The approach that some Fedora folks are trying out is called "Software
>Collections". It's not Python specific, but it's basically the same as a
>virtual environment.

It's a serious problem, and I think it will be made more so by the incursions
into mobile platforms, where app isolation is actually an important feature.

The security implications of duplication are bad enough, but in many cases,
it's an issue of just plain functionality.  On some platforms, often a PyPI
version of a package will not work out of the box, and has to be patched to
deal with various platform issues.  The advantage of having packages come from
the distro is because there's a higher likelihood that it will both continue
to be secure *and* continue to work!

As you point out, this isn't necessarily Python specific.  We see much
hand-wringing about Go packaging in Debian, and static linking for mobile
apps.  It would however be nice if Python itself had a better story for
concurrent multiversion libraries, even better if it could be made compatible
with schemes that the distros are coming up with to deal with this issue.

-Barry