On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be pleased if "pip install" lost
> the ability to natively install sdists without that intermediate step.

At that point, it would be giving easy_install (or any other tool that
did) a comparative advantage.  So that's probably not going to fly.
(Unless of course you meant that the intermediate step remains
transparent to the user.)

easy_install (and pip) became popular because they get code from
developers to users with the fewest possible steps for people on
either end of the distribution channel.  Adding pointless steps is
both bad UI design and poor marketing.