On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 07:20 -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
> On May 24, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> From: holger krekel <hol...@merlinux.eu>
> >

> >> Nice.  How do you actually get at the dependencies?  Don't you
> >> need to execute setup.py for that?
> >>

> > Yes, that's how it's done. However, the idea is to do it once per uploaded
> > release and remember the results, so an installer tool like pip doesn't
> > have to download and run setup.py every time :-)
>
> So what you're saying is I can root your machine with a setup.py? ;)

That's the immediate risk, indeed :)  However, i guess one could use a VM
with a chroot and a dedicated user and timeout the setup after 20 seconds
or so to regain some safety.   It's a bit horrible but OTOH i'd really
like to have this information (especially the deps) without requiring
everybody to switch to a new packaging format first.

holger