On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Yuval Greenfield <ubershme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize we don't want to start squat-wars. But pypi's wx is a 5 liner that
> absolutely no person would ever want installed. At the least, pip should
> warn me when I install "wx" that it's probably not what I'm looking for.

This isn't a question for the wxPython project, it's one for the PyPi
folks and/or the author of the "other" wx.

As it happens, there has been a discussion recently on the distutils
list about whether the Pyton community should establish a system for
regulating top-level package names -- but at this point, it seems
everyone all getting along is where we are at.

wxpython is listed on PyPi, what else can we do? This is not a unique
situation that someone would accidentally install a different package
than they intended. In this case, I suspect that if you installed
wxPython on top of that wx, it would just work.

Still not a bad idea to suggest the author of the other wx to remove
or rename it -- why invite confusion?

Last point -- does PyPi have a system for aliases? If so, it might be
a good idea to have wxPython in there as wx as well.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov