On 09/21/2013 06:17 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

Is it possible to do this in a pure python library? I know there are pure
python libraries for ed25119 that are written by the author so they
should be good to use.

It should be possible to do in pure Python all the cryptography that TUF needs.
The performance may not be so good with sufficiently large RSA keys, but I
think that is a bottleneck only when creating those keys and signing metadata
with those keys. Verifying signatures created by those keys should be cheap
enough, and that is how most people would use TUF (for reading, not writing).
Vlad, what do you think?

Ok good, as long as what someone installing a package needs done can be done in
pure python that's fine. Pip can't have dependencies in the traditional sense
so everything needs to be embeddable and pure python. An optional C module for
speed ups is fine.

Packaging tools on the other hand IMO can require compiled code.

Aha, I see, that's good to know! That sounds like a good plan: we will have pip-with-TUF "read" cryptography in pure Python, and have the packaging tools use whatever is deemed best.

Before we go any further, though, we would like your thoughts on the
matter. Should we modify the PyPI server ourselves? Or should we
wait for Warehouse instead? We want to work together with the DistUtils
SIG community on all of this, and would appreciate any feedback and
thoughts you have for us. What would you like to see from us?

What does an integration look like? What time frame are you looking at
completing this? Warehouse is where the future of PyPI is and I'm loathe
to add much else to the old code base, but Warehouse is very incomplete
at the moment.

By an integration, we mean this scenario: developers will be able to register
their package-signing keys with PyPI (by uploading their public keys), and sign
for package metadata themselves with their private keys. Among other things,
the PyPI server will also have to change a bit to generate some TUF metadata
itself.

I think it would make the most sense for us to figure out how to integrate TUF
with Warehouse since that is the future of PyPI. Is now a good time for us to
discuss how to do that? What is your timeframe for Warehouse?

Right now i'm porting over database tables to be "owned" by Warehouse
(Warehouse and legacy PyPI run in tandem). After that i'll be working on porting the
existing API. I'm hoping to have something that people can install from to test in a
month or two.

Okay, that sounds good. Certainly there will be many details to be worked out; I am not sure yet exactly how TUF will fit into Warehouse, so we will need to talk about that. It may be better to move some of this discussion offline, so that we don't have to inundate the mailing list with unnecessary details until we are ready to publicly present them for discussion later.

Talk to you soon,
Trishank