On 19 Oct 2013 04:59, "Chris Barker" <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> Someone on another list indicated that pip installing binary wheels
> from PyPi will ONLY work for Windows.
>
> Is that the case? I think it's desperately needed for OS-X as well.
>
> Linux is so diverse that I can't imagine it being useful, but OS-X has
> only so many versions, and the python.org OS-X binaries are very clear
> in their requirements -- it would be very useful if folks could easily
> get binary wheels for OS-X

We do plan to support it, but the pip devs uncovered a hole in the current
wheel spec that means it generates the same filename on *nix systems for
wheels that need to have different names for the download side of things to
work properly - hence the current Windows-only restriction.

Once ensurepip has landed in Python 3.4 and pip 1.5 is released, we should
be able to get back to updating the various metadata specs, with the aim of
getting cross-platform wheel support in pip 1.6 :)