On 10/25/2013 04:25 AM, PJ Eby wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Martin Fiers
<martin.fi...@intec.ugent.be> wrote:
So the platform argument now is
self.distribution.has_ext_modules() and self.plat_name
Shouldn't it just be
self.plat_name
?
No.  The platform name is only included if the distribution has
extension modules, because extension modules are what make the egg
platform-specific.  If there is only Python code and data, then the
egg is considered platform independent.
Ok, I understand the reasoning.

Would there be a workaround?
What do you want to work around this *for*?  If the egg doesn't
contain extension modules, what is platform-specific about it?
Well, the way we build our extensions forces us to do this. We cythonize large parts of our modules. This is done in separate build scripts. It is included as package_data, which is 'agnostic' of the platform. For this reason, we want to force the naming. In any case, no harm is done by adding the platform name, as distutils recognizes them. I guess we'll have to rename them manually after the setup() function, unless there's a way to 'force' setup() to 'think' it has compiled extensions in them?

Thanks,
Martin