Why don't you study what's happening in the offending lines of code
and see where things are going wrong?  For example, in this file:

/Users/dpo/.virtualenvs/test/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/command/egg_info.py

see what's showing up as a tuple rather than a string.  You can add
debug statements if necessary.

--Chris