On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:00:59AM -0500, Donald Stufft wrote:
> As I said, running a local copy of PostgreSQLis very easy. There are
> installers for Windows and OSX, and pretty much every *nix
> distribution will have it packaged.

My ex-coworker Ignas came up with a Makefile snippet that sets up a
local PostgreSQL sandbox inside the working tree:
https://gist.github.com/Ignas/1676353

It's incredibly handy for Jenkins: you can clone jobs as you like
without having to manually assign database names to avoid conflicts from
jobs running simultaneously.  All you have to do is use the Port
Allocator Plugin to set unique PGPORTs for the jobs.

I also like that I can git clone a project and run 'make test' without
having to worry about setting up PostgreSQL databases.

It probably only works on Debian/Ubuntu, and it requires that you have
PostgreSQL installed, but it doesn't need a system-wide PostgreSQL to be
running.

Marius Gedminas
--
Those who can't write, write manuals.