Is this the right place to discuss UX issues for pip? If not, point to the
right place, if so, read on:

I think pip's usability could be much improved with a little tweaking to
the messages it prints to the console when it does its thing. For instance,
when I do a:

pip install some_package

I get the message:

Downloading/unpacking some_package

When in fact, pip is not (yet) doing that -- what it is doing is looking
for the package on pypi (or ???) Which is fine if the package is found, but
if it's not, you then get some confusing messages, like:

Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement some-package
Cleaning up...

not to bad -- it does say it wasn't found, but it seems it could be a bit
odd to a new user -- "but I thought it was being downloaded?"

I was just trying to upgrade a packe that I was told could now be pip
installed:

$ pip install --upgrade tracpy
Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement tracpy in
/Users/chris.barker/PythonStuff/TracPy/tracpy
Downloading/unpacking tracpy
Cleaning up...
No distributions at all found for tracpy in
/Users/chris.barker/PythonStuff/TracPy/tracpy
Storing complete log in /Users/chris.barker/.pip/pip.log

It turns out that they have not (yet?) registered it with pypi (and I have
a n older copy in /Users/chris.barker/PythonStuff/TracPy/tracpy). But it
does seem weird and confusing that it first says it can't find any
downloads, then tells me its downloading, then cleaning up, then says it
couldn't find anything...

Anyway, small stuff, but these little things make a difference.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov