> I'm not sure about the conda -> wheel direction, but "pip install conda &&
> conda init" mostly works already if you're in a virtualenv that owns its
> copy of Python

ok, I just tried conda in a throw-away altinstall of py2.7.
I was thinking I would have to "conda create" new isolated environments
from there.
but there literally is a "conda init" (*not* documented on the website)
like you mentioned that get's conda going in the current environment.
pip and conda were both working, except that pip didn't know about
everything conda had installed like sqllite, which is expected.
and I found all the conda metadata which was helpful to look at.

I still don't know what you mean by "hash based dependencies".
I'm not seeing any requirements being locked by hashes in the metadata?
what do you mean?