On 5 December 2013 00:06, Marcus Smith <qwc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  but Anoconda does some a nifty thing: it make s conda package that holds
>> the shared lib, then other packages that depend on it depend on that
>> package, so it will both get auto--installed
>>
>> But I don't see why you couldn't do that with wheels.
>
> exactly,  that's what I'm really proposing/asking,  is that maybe wheels
> should formally go in that direction.
> i.e. not just packaging python projects, but packaging non-python
> dependencies that python projects need (but have those dependencies be
> optional, for those who want to fulfill those deps using

I don't think it matters whether anyone "formally" goes in that
direction. If it's possible then it will happen for some things sooner
or later. I hope it does happen too, for things like build tools,
BLAS/LAPACK libraries etc. Virtualenv+pip could become a much more
convenient way to set up a software configuration than currently
exists on Windows and OSX (and on Linux distros if you're not looking
to mess with the system install).

Oscar