So, related question: Should the Mac binaries also work with the python.org mac
build?

Regarding my quest: I just punted for now (out of time, need something working
by Monday).

I'm using Christoph Gohlke's binaries for windows (seem to work well!) and
cooked up my own custom installer for Mac that loads on top of python.org
python and our current VPython installer. All working, so crisis averted. ;-)

I'll look into binary wheels when the dust settles.

thanks for all the suggestions!
-steve