I've redone it so it doesn't require make, and renamed the Makefile.
However, it's quite a bit slower now.  Also, "python setup.py clean"
doesn't appear to remove all the build artifacts.

Is there some way I can speed it up?

Is there some way I can automatically remove the build artifacts
without relying on make?  When they're left lying around, "svn status"
isn't quite as quick and easy.

Thanks!

PS: The link is http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/treap/trunk/