On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 January 2014 23:48, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> So what did you mean when you said "We discussed it extensively before
>> PEP 427 was approved" if you're now saying that it wasn't discussed.
>
> "Explicitly" would be a better word:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2012-September/018960.html
>
> Like I said, that particular aspect wasn't controversial, so while it
> was noted a few times (a few other examples of which you found), it
> was the overall discussions that were extensive. Both Daniel and I
> knew the zipimport compatibility for packages that were themselves zip
> compatible was a deliberate feature, so it was a surprise to me when
> Armin Ronacher said in his recent article that it wasn't supported
> (and hence the clarification).
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --
> Nick Coghlan   |   ncogh...@gmail.com   |   Brisbane, Australia

That also mentions the fact that he was considering allowing other
compression algorithms which would make it incompatible with zip import.
I don’t agree that this points to any promise that Wheels are themselves
importable as I can guarantee I poured over that spec over and over making
sure we weren’t adding something from Egg that had been problematic in
the past. I have no plans to support adding Wheels to sys.path in a way that
is supported for end users to do that, in any tool or project I work on.

But whatever, I feel like you’ve placed yourself above the PEP process
and are adding features by fiat instead of through the process. Obviously
you feel different and this discussion has gone toxic. So carry on.

Donald Stufft