Here are some of the problems with eggs that I tried to solve:

- Cannot be unzipped on top of each other due to the EGG-INFO
directory. Wheels repeat the package name in the dist-info directory
and are more like their installed layout, hopefully taking all the
mystery out of the format.
- The egg naming scheme doesn't let you distinguish between Python
interpreter implementations (not an important issue at the time).
- They include .pyc and so are always [at least somewhat] Python
version specific. Wheels don't.
- Eggs do not have categories of files. Wheel uses subdirectories of
the .data/ directory, and are therefore a complete replacement for
most other kinds of bdist_x
- And of course wheels use .dist-info which is also something that is
newer than eggs, and generally try to bring the useful packaging PEP
work into reality.

I remember dealing with the zipped eggs hassle, and I remember having
to wait too long for binary packages to be uploaded to pypi as eggs
when a new Python version was released.