On 7 March 2014 01:26, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The pep425 design tries to avoid assigning any ordering to the tag
> components. For the py version we just add py27, py26, py25 for example to
> the list of accepted tags. Perhaps the same strategy works for osx. So the
> osx 10.9 installer would generate old osx tags to add to its acceptable set.

To clarify Daniel's point (because I struggled to understand this
aspect of the implementation when I first encountered it) the
responsibility is on the installer to explicitly enumerate all the
tags it is capable of using[1]. So in theory, that means that the pep
425 implementation used by pip when running on (for example) 10.9
x86_64 should claim it can accept a wheel
pyzmq-14.1.0-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl.

Paul

[1] I'm not 100% sure that I agree with this design - I find it
confusing to say the least - but it is how things are
intended/expected to work.