On 12 May 2014 09:35, "Donald Stufft" <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> On May 11, 2014, at 6:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Specifically, what I would recommend is:
>>
>> 1. Remove any references to the global flag from other documentation and
error messages - always recommend the use of per-package flags to enable
external downloads.
>> 2. Deprecate the global flag in 1.6
>> 3. Remove it in 1.7 unless there is a marked increase in the proportion
of verifiable vs unverifiable external hosting on PyPI.

>> Adding a more explicit alias in step 2 would also be reasonable (since
the meaning of the base "allow external" will be changing). Either way, the
docs for the global option should acquire a caveat:

>> "Note: The vast majority of links from PyPI to externally hosted
packages are missing the hash information needed for verification, so this
option won't actually allow downloading of most externally hosted packages
- to handle such cases, use "allow-external" with the specific package name"

>> Cheers,
>> Nick.
>
> So, this is essentially my current PR except instead of removing the
> --allow-all-external flag in 1.6 it's deprecated and removed in 1.7. I
was on
> the fence about removing vs deprecating the --allow-all-external flag.
The only
> reason I chose to remove it was I didn't feel very good about making it
match
> the semantics of --allow-external (external safe and unsafe) but the
naming of
> it made it sound like it was just the global option.
>
> I'm not completely against that. I think it's choosing between three bad
> options, removing --allow-all-external, making it not match
--allow-external,
> or making it a global do an unsafe thing flag.

Yeah, "deprecated & not matching the per package semantics" is my
suggestion at this point - you've persuaded me that dropping it is the
right thing to do, so we're only discussing timing.

> However before I go further on that I want to dig more into the impact of
these
> things. It dawned on me earlier today that the way I was categorizing
things
> in my earlier number crunching was making it unreasonably hard to actually
> divine any sort of meaning out of those numbers. I'm currently in the
process
> of crawling all of PyPI again*, after I have those new numbers I'll have a
> better sense of things and I think a better forward plan can be made.

Cool.