Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There still remains the usability issue of unsophisticated users running into
> external indexes and needing to cope with that in one of a myriad of ways as
> evidenced by the PEP. One solution proposed and refined at the EuroPython
> gathering today has PyPI caching packages from external indexes *for packages
> registered with PyPI*. That is: a requirement of registering your package (and
> external index URL) with PyPI is that you grant PyPI permission to cache
> packages from your index in the central index - a scenario that is ideal for
> users.

-1. That is unlikely to solve the draconian-terms-and-conditions problem
and one reason to host externally is to get your own download statistics.

> Organisations not wishing to do that understand that they're the ones
> causing the pain for users.

No. First, checksummed external packages could be downloaded without asking
at all.  Second, if international authors are required to study US export law
before uploading, I wonder who is causing the pain.

Finally, how can an author cause pain for users? Without him, the work
would not be there in the first place.

Stefan Krah