On July 25, 2014 at 3:42:48 PM, Wichert Akkerman (wich...@wiggy.net) wrote:

On 25 Jul 2014, at 21:06, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

On July 25, 2014 at 2:37:58 PM, Richard Jones (r1chardj0...@gmail.com) wrote:
Linux wheels are generally not compatible in a non-local sense, so it's
unlikely those will be distributable through PyPI. That would also mean it's
probably unlikely they'll be built there.

Something related to this also cane up in discussion at europython but I don't
want to steal any thunder :-)

I completely plan on making it possible to publish Linux Wheels at some point
in the future and I don’t believe the binary compat problem on Linux is unable
to be overcome.

I have some experience with Linux distributions, and I am struggling to image
how you can possibly overcome those problems. There are a large number of
reasons why binary compatibility between various different distributions, and
different versions of the same distribution is not possible unless you
integrate very tightly with packaging system, which is something that I don’t
see being possible with wheels. I would love to hear how you envision solving
that.

Wichert.

Include the distro name and version in the compatibility tag, so something like:

Cython-0.20.1-cp27-none-linux_x86_64-ubuntu_14_04.whl

--
Donald Stufft
PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA