Pip compatibility is very useful, so I was thinking about doing
something like that. Along with using setup-requires-dist to download
an appropriately forked waf:
https://bitbucket.org/dholth/setup-requires . Then a little
boilerplate code later you have a non-distutils package build without
giving up compatibility.

Removing "setup.py install" and delegating installation to pip is one
of the major packaging goals. One way to do that is to always build
the wheel, and then install the wheel, when pip has to install from
sdist. Since not every legacy package works correctly in wheel it
makes sense to have a per-package flag saying it's allowed.