Naive question- does pip send over a UserAgent (or something) that contains
a version number the server can use to determine which behavior to default
to?

That would allow a deprecation cycle of N months or so that will let people
upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6. We could then watch usage of 1.5 decrease over
time until it's a non-factor.