On 12 Oct 2014 22:36, "Paul Moore" <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I don't know of any current way to do it, and even the more flexible
> >> extras notation in PEP 426 doesn't quite get you there.
> >>
> >> The closest it currently allows is "pip install myproj[-,core]". The
> >> "-" disables installing the default dependencies, but it *also*
> >> disables installing the distribution itself.
> >
> > On second thoughts, I think PEP 426 does already cover this, by
> > letting you write "pip install myproj[-:meta:,-:run:,core]". That
> > would turn off the normal "meta_requires" and "run_requires"
> > processing, and just install the dependencies for the "core" extra
> > instead (which would then presumably be a subset of the normal
> > run_requires).
> >
> > You'd need to specify your core dependencies in two places (once in
> > run_requires and once for the core extra), but having setup.py as an
> > executable format copes with that OK.
>
> Thanks, that looks good enough for my needs. I must admit to not
> having really investigated this part of PEP 426, so thanks for the
> pointer. I'll go and do some reading.

I don't think anyone other than me has really thought about it too much at
this point - it's one of the areas in need of review and a draft reference
implementation before the PEP could realistically be accepted.

> All I need to do now is wait for PEP 426 to get accepted, and a
> version of pip with support for it to be released :-) But I don't
> really mind ignoring the issue for now, until that happens. It's not
> like the project is even fully written yet...

I think there's plenty of good upgrades on the agenda for pip 6 already, so
I'll be nudging folks to start looking more closely at PEP 426 on the road
to pip 7 :)