> On 04 Nov 2014, at 21:08, Evgeny Sazhin <eug...@sazhin.us> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> It seems that according to the
> https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/current.html
> it is more or less settled that the setuptools/pip/wheel is the way to
> go forward.
> One of the problems though is that there is plenty of packages on Pypi
> that are not there yet.

One issue currently is that source distributions are much simpler to make: I
can make a sdist without having wheel installed, and more importantly I can
make a single sdist that works for both Python 2 and 3. That means I can make a
release of a Python 3-compatible package without having to install Python 3
myself (or the reverse for people who are in a Python 3-only world), relying
completely on a service such as Travis to run tests with Python 3.

Wichert.