The other way in which this makes a whole lot more sense is when
considering projects that use dates as versions. Let's take for
example projects that have a released versions like

2013.08.10
2013.10.30
2013.12.03
2014.02.16
2014.09.23

If I say I want foo > 2013, I expect anything in the 2014.*.* series.
I don't expect 2013.*.* The same works for > 1.7