Interesting. One of the things that would help with getting people to help and
is in the PEPs but last I checked wasn't yet implemented is the metadata that
allows putting in all kinds of URLs and the ones I'm primarily thinking of here
are the source code repository URL and the issue tracker URL.

I personally sigh when I see a PyPI page that lists its URL as said PyPI page
as this seems redundant and not useful and I'd rather see a GitHub or Bitbucket
URL (or maybe a foo-project.org or readthedocs URL, but I the repo URL is
usually what I'm most interested in).

If we had the metadata with all the different kinds of URLs and the tools to
show it and search it, then it would be clearer what to put where and would
make it easier for consumers to find what they're looking for.

Another thought I had while reading your email was the OpenHatch project and if
there could be some tie-in with that.

It also would be interesting if package maintainers had a channel to
communicate with their user base. Back when I was at Yahoo, our proprietary
package tool kept track of all installs of packages and stored the information
in a centralized database. As a result, a package maintainer could see how many
people had installed each version of their package and could send emails to
folks who had installed a particular version or folks who had installed any
version. A lot of folks used this to warn user bases about security issues,
bugs, deprecations, etc. and to encourage folks to upgrade to newer versions
and monitor the progress of such efforts.

This is a pretty big architectural change of course. I can imagine an easier
route could be to have the metadata have a link to a mailing list so a user
could easily check a box, press a button, specify an option to pip install,
etc. that would subscribe them to a project mailing list, hosted elsewhere.
This obviates the need for PyPI/Warehouse to have a big database of who is
interested in what by distributing out that responsibility to other tools like
Mailman and what not.

-Marc
http://marc-abramowitz.com
Sent from my iPhone 4S