On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Jason R. Coombs <jar...@jaraco.com> wrote:
> I’m pleased to announce a fix for improved Cython support per Setuptools
> #288 (https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/issue/288). I’ve published a
> beta release 18.0b1 in the Setuptools project downloads
> (https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/downloads/setuptools-18.0b1.zip) for
> pre-release testing. Release notes are here
> (https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/src/4249669040239bff20196b17ccd4d73870d37343/CHANGES.txt#cl-10).
>
> Please, if you use any projects with Cython modules, give this install a
> trial run and report any issues in the Setuptools bug tracker. I hope to
> release 18.0 in the next few weeks if there aren’t any emergent blockers.

Thanks for this, I'll try it out when I get a chance.  Although I
don't think I've run into this issue often, as I don't usually put
Cython in setup_requires, as I prefer to package sources generated by
Cython in the source dist (so users installing from the source dist
don't need Cython themselves, and I also get more control over the
Cython version used).

That said, I've wanted to work out a schema for adding Cython to
setup_requires only for source checkouts (but remove it when making a
source dist), just as a development convenience.  I guess I've just
never tried it though...or maybe did and realized it was buggy and
forgot about it.  Good to know that it *should* work now.

Erik