> On Jul 17, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've recently packaged SDL2 for Windows as a wheel, without any Python code.
> It is a conditional dependency "if Windows" for a SDL wrapper.

Cool, though I still think we need wheel-level deps -- the dependency
is on the particular binary, not the platform. But a good start.

> We were talking on this list about adding more categories to wheel, to make
> it easier to install in abstract locations "confdir", "libdir" etc. probably
> per GNU convention which would map to /etc, /usr/share, and so forth based on
> the platform.

Where would the concrete firs be? I think inside the Python install
I.e. Where everything is managed by python . I don't think I want pip
dumping stuff in /use/local, nevermind /usr. And presumably the goal
is to support virtualenv anyway.

> Someone needs to write that specification. Propose we forget about Windows
> for the first revision, so that it is possible to get it done.

If we want Windows support in the long run -- and we do -- we should
be thinking about it from the start. But if it's going in the
Python-managed dirs, it doesn't have to follow Windows convention ...

> The real trick is when you have to depend on something that lives outside of
> your packaging system, for example, it's probably easier to ship qt as a
> wheel than to ship libc as a wheel.

Well, we can expect SOME base system! No system can exist without libc....

-CHB