I can't seem to find a way to pip install from a source dir -- not a
tarball.

Why would I want to do that?

In this case, it's because I'm trying to build conda packages for python
packages that have compiled C code, and are not using setuptools.

On Windows, you need to use setuptools in order to use the "MS compiler for
Python 2.7". So a straight "setup.py build" fails.

But pip injects setuptools, so that "pip install" does work. But conda has
already unpacked the source distribution, so I'd like to point pip at that,
and can't find a way to do that (I could have sworn it was possible...)

Do I have to build an sdist, and then point pip at that??

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov