On 7 October 2015 at 22:28, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Maybe I have misunderstood: does it actually help pip at all to have
> static access to name and version, but not to anything else? I've been
> assuming not, but I don't think anyone's pointed to any examples yet
> of the problems that pip is encountering due to the lack of static
> metadata -- would this actually be enough to solve them?

The principle I am working on is that *all* metadata in a source wheel
should be statically available - that's not just for pip, but for all
other consumers, including distro packagers. What's not set in stone
is precisely what (subsets of) metadata are appropriate for source
wheels as opposed to (binary) wheels.

So I'd counter your question with the converse - what metadata
specifically are you unwilling to include statically in source wheels?
My feeling is that there isn't anything you'd be unwilling to include
that I'd consider as "source wheel metadata". Possibly the nearest
we'd have to an issue is over allowing the build process to *add*
dependencies to a binary wheel (e.g. a some builds depend on
currently-hypothetical MKL wheel, which provides needed DLLs). I don't
in principle object to that, but I'd like to see a fleshed out
proposal on how wheels containing just DLLs (as opposed to Python
packages) would work in practice - until we have a mechanism for
building/distributing such wheels, I think it's premature to worry
about specifying dependencies.

But whatever comes out of this, the Metadata 2.0 spec should
ultimately be updated to note which metadata is mandated in source
wheels, and which in binary wheels only.

Paul