At the pylons project we've had a history of keeping our tests inside the
packages. However, keeping them outside has proven to be nicer in some
projects as well. 1) It reduces the size of the binary wheels that do not
need to package the tests. 2) It still allows you to run the tests on an
arbitrary installation if you want to by pulling down the repo and running
them against the version installed in the virtualenv. Distributing the
tests to every single installation is definitely not a requirement in order
to be able to run them for people who want to run them, and decoupling them
can really help with that. Projects that are shipping tests inside the
package may have them removed upstream and then it is very difficult to run
the suite against some binary distribution.