On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  As I've already said, we have a plan for that, it's
> just happening slowly (apparently too slowly for some people, but
> rather than helping with it they seem happier to propose alternative
> approaches that we've typically considered in the past and discarded,

I'm not exactly sure who (or which proposals) that was aimed at, but my
idea, at least is not an alternative approach at all -- it's small idea for
how to help get there, sooner than later.

It seems the plan is to:

finish hammering out the spec.

Wait for _someone_ to make a new build system.

Then wait how long? decades? for the entire user community to go to some
new build system(s).

Then we can finally deprecate the cruft of setuptools.

Actually -- I like that plan -- and I'll probably be one of the early folks
to jump on the bandwagon of the new build system.

But in the meantime, a way to get my project to build without the
setuptools cruft would be a nice option.

BTW -- this is not just about letting pip work with more than one build
system -- it's also about letting more than one package manage work with
the existing (and other future) build systems.

In conda, for instance, the convention is to call:

python setup.py intstall.

It turns out that now, we _should_ be calling:

pip install ./

to actually get the right thing done. Really?

A setuptools lite would do the right thing with "setup.py install"

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I can just banish setuptools from my
setup.py, stick with distutils, and then make sure to use pip to actually
invoke anything -- so it will inject setuptools, but only use the bits we
need....

I'll have to try that.....

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov