On 27 October 2015 at 13:12, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We must do the hard work to support Unicode file names, and spaces and
> accent marks in home directory names (historically a problem on Windows), in
> our packaging system. It is the right thing to do. It is not the publisher's
> fault that your system has broken Unicode.

In the examples I'm thinking of, the publisher used a format (.tar.gz)
that didn't properly support Unicode, in the sense that it didn't
include an encoding for the bytes it used to represent filenames. IMO,
that is something we shouldn't allow, by rejecting file formats that
don't support Unicode properly.

Whose fault it is, is not important - it's just as easy to say that
it's not the end user's fault that the publisher made an unwarranted
assumption about encodings. What's important is that things work for
everyone, and the interoperability standards don't leave room for
people to make such assumptions.

Paul

PS Consider this a retraction of my suggestion that filenames in
sdists should be pure ASCII. But still, sdists shouldn't contain files
that can't be used on target systems - e.g., 2 files whose names
differ only in case, files containing characters like :, ? or * that
are invalid on Windows... Whether this needs to be noted in the
standard, or whether it's just a case of directing users' bug reports
back to the publisher, is an open question, though.