> While I understand what you're trying to achieve (and I'm in favour,
> in general) it should be remembered that pip's core goal is installing
> packages - not being a component of a development workflow.

Yes -- clear separation of concerns here!

So what IS supposed to be used in the development workflow? The new
mythical build system?

This brings.  me back to my setuptools-lite concept -- while we are
waiting for a new build system, you can use setuptools-lite, and get a
setup.py install or setup.py develop that does what it's supposed to
do and nothing else....

OK, I'll go away now :-)

-Chris