On November 9, 2015 at 8:26:50 AM, Paul Moore (p.f.mo...@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 9 November 2015 at 12:46, Wayne Werner wrote:
> > My experience(s) with the latest IPython is that it's freaking magic - in
> > a good way :)
>
> Nice :-) Maybe pip could learn something useful from how the IPython
> guys do that.
> Paul

It’s not likely to be a great option. It essentially just takes
/usr/bin/ipython and if the ``VIRTUAL_ENV`` variable is defined it munges
sys.path so that it also adds the ``site-packages`` from the virtual
environment. This means that it totally ignores —no-site-packages because the
“outside” Python sys.path is still there.

The ``-p`` flag in my PoC works by munging the sys.path, but the difference is
that it’s adding something like /usr/bin/pip to the sys.path (which is a zip
file) which doesn’t otherwise pollute the sys.path with other random crap from
within the site-packages. It’d be trivial to have the ``-p`` flag default to
something that just automatically takes into account a virtual environment
though and python -m pip would implicitly automatically take a virtual
environment into account.