On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> Does this sound reasonable to everyone? Do we think it needs a new
> PEP or can we just amend PEP 376 to add this extra bit of information?

Identifying something special like "system" doesn't seem bad, and
conforms (assuming PEP 376 really meant to include "+" at the end of
the regular expression).

If tools find the INSTALLER file and it identifies some other tool,
though, it shouldn't matter if there's a special "system" value.
Debian systems could use "dpkg" or "apt", RPM-based systems could use
"rpm" or "yum", and it sounds like the new pip would be just as happy
to do the right thing.

I don't think a new or updated PEP is needed.  I'm glad to see this
being addressed.  Thanks for all your hard work, Donald!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein