Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> writes:

> But as I said in my response to Nathaniel, it may be that all that is
> needed is some context in the PEP explaining how we require[1] people
> to upload source to PyPI in the new world where we support build
> systems which don't have a "sdist" command like setuptools does.
>
> Paul
>
> [1] I say "require" in the sense of "you have to follow these rules if
> pip is to be able to use your source", not "you must upload source" -
> although I hope that the number of people actually preferring to *not*
> include source in their PyPI uploads is vanishingly small...

Don't underestimate the number of people who don't wish to put source in
PyPI. Especially, don't rely merely on hope that such numbers remain
vanishingly small.

After all, as you may recall from the discussion in 2014 [0], there are
core Python members who wish PyPI had remained an index only, with
distributions allowed to have *no* files necessarily hosted at PyPI.

It seems reasonable to infer that their preferences are shared by
others, and some people would wish to avoid putting source for a
distribution on PyPI if that were to become easier.

[0] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2014-May/024224.html

--
 \     “DRM doesn't inconvenience [lawbreakers] — indeed, over time it |
  `\     trains law-abiding users to become [lawbreakers] out of sheer |