You make a valid point. This made me recall something -- there is a classifier "Development Status :: 7 - Inactive". As a quick fix, pip could be modified to emit a warning when a distribution containing this classifier is installed. But the problem seems more social than technical. The author of the package the OP referred to has not chosen to add any status classifier or any kind of warning in the description that would notify the user of its deprecated status.