On 11 April 2016 at 23:30, Ionel Cristian Mărieș <cont...@ionelmc.ro> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> you wouldn't typically install
>> each application in its own directory and add that directory to
>> $PATH.], so why do the equivalent with sys.path?
>>

> ​Funny that Nixos and Redhat's SCLs​ do exactly that with $PATH other
> vars:-)

For SCLs, we don't really expect you to have dozens active at once, though
- usually only 1 or 2 for any given process (language runtime + web server).

In terms of this thread, though, the advice in the setuptools docs is
indeed out of date - the downside of making sys.path longer overwhelms the
benefit of zipimporter loading content listings into memory, especially in
Python 3, which also caches normal directory listings for sys.path entries
since the switch to importlib in 3.3 (the caching avoided a slowdown when
importing from local disks, and provided a dramatic speed *up* when
importing from network file shares).