On Apr 27 2016, at 2:09 pm, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 04/27/2016 10:52 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:

> > This isn't really a problem with what you're doing. Rather it's an
issue
> with the toolchain and and open question whether or not wheels should
> conceptually be able to be produced from a checkout, or if they should
> only be produced from a sdist. Problems like this are why I advocate the
> Checkout -> sdist -> wheel being the only path, but others feel
differently.

> As a simple user, my feelings are that the command I used should have
generated three equivalent distributions, but did not. That feels like
a bug. :(

I agree with you. Others don't believe it to be a big deal.

> Let me rephrase my question: what command do I use to build the wheel
from the sdist I just made? For bonus points: why can't setup do that
for me?

You can first build the sdist, then unpack it into a directory and then run
``setup.py bdist_wheel`` inside of that directory.