On 28 April 2016 at 10:43, Steve Kowalik <ste...@wedontsleep.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, pip supports use of direct references[1][2] in requirement
> files, which means it includes code that will deal with downloading
> files over HTTP, or git, etc.
>
> setuptools does not have this support, and in order for setuptools to
> completely implement PEP 508 support, we should come up with a plan
> what to do when setuptools encounters a requirement that uses a direct
> reference.
>
> The options that I can see are:
> 1) When egg_info is run, exit with an error saying "Please don't do
> that"
> 2) Warn about the requirement, and that we will just depend on it, but
> drop the direct reference.
> 3) Add support to setuptools. Personally, I don't like this plan, but
> perhaps it's easy.

What about putting the reference into the egg_info, warning that
setuptools itself cannot deal with direct references, and for
easy-install itself drop back to using the name?

I'm thinking we probably do want egg-info to have direct references -
so that the use case of a private network of packages all hosted on
e.g. github, can work with pip.

Donald, WDYT?

-Rob