> On May 10, 2016, at 9:43 PM, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
>>> Donald, Nathaniel, and I have finished our proposed PEP for specifying a
>>> projects' build dependencies. The PEP is being kept at
>>> https://github.com/brettcannon/build-deps-pep, so if you find spelling
>>> mistakes and grammatical errors please feel free to send a PR to fix them.
>>
>> Thanks Brett!
>>
>>> The only open issue in the PEP at the moment is the bikeshedding topic of
>>> what to name the sub-section containing the requirements: `[package.build]`
>>> or `[package.build-system]` (we couldn't reach consensus among the three of
>>> us on this).
>>
>> To maybe help nudge initial bikeshedding on this in useful directions,
>> the main arguments (IIUC) were:
>>
>> In favor of "build-system": setup.py is used for more than just the
>> strict "build" (source tree/sdist -> wheel) phase. For example,
>> setup.py is also used to do VCS checkout -> sdist. And it seems likely
>> that the new build system abstraction thing will grow similar
>> capabilities at some point. So calling the section just "build" might
>> be misleading.
>>
>> In favor of "build": it's just shorter and reads better.
>>
>> Maybe there's a third option that's even better -- [package.automation] ?
>>
>> Maybe it doesn't matter that much :-)
>
> I think "build-system" is more descriptive and the more descriptive we
> can be, the better. (Think of choosing descriptive method and
> attribute names as well as variables.)

I’m in favor of “build”, mostly because I think

[package.build-system]
requires = [“setuptools”, “wheel”]

is uglier than

[package.build]
requires = [“setuptools, “wheel”]

and I think for 99% of people the distinction is going to be lost anyways.

That being said, I think either one is OK.

Donald Stufft