pip doesn't yet support pyproject.toml does it?

23.07.2016, 17:43, Daniel Holth kirjoitti:
Here is my attempt. The SConstruct (like a Makefile) builds the extension. The .toml file gives the static metadata. No need to put the two in the same file.

https://bitbucket.org/dholth/cryptacular/src/tip/SConstruct

https://bitbucket.org/dholth/cryptacular/src/tip/pyproject.toml

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 10:11 AM Alex Grönholm <alex.gronh...@nextday.fi <mailto:alex.gronh...@nextday.fi>> wrote:

    23.07.2016, 17:04, Thomas Kluyver kirjoitti:
    > On Sat, Jul 23, 2016, at 02:32 PM, Alex Grönholm wrote:
    >> I'm -1 on this because requirements.txt is not really the
    standard way
    >> to list dependencies.
    >> In the Python world, setup.py is the equivalent of Node's
    package.json.
    >> But as it is
    >> Python code, it cannot so easily be programmatically modified.
    > Packaging based on declarative metadata:
    > http://flit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
    > </blowing_own_trumpet>
    >
    > We have a bit of a divide. Specifying dependencies in setup.py (or
    > flit.ini, or upcoming pyproject.toml) is the standard for
    library and
    > tool packages that are intended to be published on PyPI and
    installed
    > with pip. requirements.txt is generally used for applications
    which will
    > be distributed or deployed by other means.
    >
    > As I understand it, in the Javascript world package.json is used
    in both
    > cases. Is that something Python should try to emulate? Is it hard to
    > achieve given the limitations of setup.py that you pointed out?
    This topic has been beaten to death. There is no way to cram the
    complexities of C extension compilation setup into purely declarative
    metadata. Distutils2 tried and failed. Just look at the setup.py files
    of some popular projects and imagine all that logic expressed in
    declarative metadata.