On Aug 21, 2016 9:18 AM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> By contrast, I *know* Linux distros are in the habit of pulling
> release tarballs from PyPI and feeding them directly into their
> release pipelines, so the potential for unanticipated breakage seems
> much higher there, and more likely to fall on community distros rather
> than on commercial Python redistributors (simply because there are
> more volunteers working on Linux based tooling than there are on
> WIndows developer tools).

But those release pipelines today have no problem handling the ~10% of
sdists that are zips. For my personal projects actually I've always
released .zip sdists exclusively (just because it seemed like a more
universally convenient format than .tar.gz), and those packages have shown
up in distros and no one has ever complained. Are any distros really
hardcoding an assumption that .tar.gz is that only possible sdist format?

(I'm agnostic on the overall question of whether to prefer .zip or .tar.gz
as the standard -- both seem reasonable with their own tradeoffs.)

-n