On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 3:50 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even on the "hard" cases like Windows, it may be possible to define a
> standard approach that goes something along the lines of defining a
> standard location that (somehow) gets added to the load path, and
> interested parties provide DLLs for external dependencies, which the
> users can then manually place in those locations.

that't pretty much what conda is :-)

though it adds the ability to handle multiple environments, and tools so
you don't have to manually place anything.

It would probably be feasible to make a
conda-for-everything-but-python-itself. I'm just not sure that would buy
you much.

-CHB

Or there's the
> option that's been mentioned before, but never (to my knowledge)
> developed into a complete proposal, for packaging up external
> dependencies as wheels.

Folks were working on this at Pycon last spring -- any progress?

> In some ways, Windows is actually an *easier* platform in this regard,
> as it's much more consistent in what it does provide - the CRT, and
> nothing else, basically. So all of the rest of the "external
> dependencies" need to be shipped, which is a bad thing, but there's no
> combinatorial explosion of system dependencies to worry about, which
> is good

and pretty much what manylinux is about, yes?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov