From: "Donald Stufft" <don...@stufft.io>
Sent: ‎12/‎15/‎2016 4:21
To: "Freddy Rietdijk" <freddyrietd...@fridh.nl>
<ba...@python.org>
Subject: Re: [Distutils] Maintaining a curated set of Python packages

On Dec 15, 2016, at 7:13 AM, Freddy Rietdijk <freddyrietd...@fridh.nl> wrote:

> Putting the conclusion first, I do see value in better publicising

> "Recommended libraries" based on some automated criteria like:

Yes, we should recommend third-party libraries in a trusted place like the
documentation of CPython. The amount of packages that are available can be
overwhelming. Yet, defining a set of packages that are recommended, and perhaps
working together, is still far from defining an exact set of packages that are
known to work together, something which I proposed here.

We could theoretically bake this into PyPI itself, though I’m not sure if that
makes sense.

We could also probably bake something like “curated package sets” into PyPI
where individual users (or groups of users) can create their own view of PyPI
for people to use, while still relying on all of the infrastructure of PyPI.
Although I’m not sure that makes any sense either.

—
Donald Stufft