On Jan 10, 2017, at 15:07, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Not just the system Python on OSX, this also affects all Python.org
>>> installers for OSX except 3.6. The 3.6 installer is the first one that
>>> doesn’t use the system installation of OpenSSL.

That's not quite accurate.  The 32-bit-only macOS python.org installers for
recent 2.7.x and 3.x releases are also linked with a private current set of
OpenSSL libraries.  For 3.6, we no longer supply the 32-bit-only installer and
the 64-bit/32-bit installer is now linked with the private OpenSSL as you note.

>>> Annoyingly with OpenSSL on OSX you have to options: either use an
>>> up-to-date release or have OpenSSL use the system CA trust store, but not
>>> both.  Sigh…

It would be nice if someone would do the work to figure out whether it is
feasible to use Apple's own Crypto and TLS API's as apparently libcurl does.

>>> I have no idea how may users use the Python.org installers on OSX, but this
>>> has the potential to affect a largish number of users on OSX including
>>> newbies (but far from all users on OSX, there’s also a sizeable population
>>> using Homebrew or Anaconda).

And MacPorts.  I don't know about Anaconda but the other two already use their
own private versions of OpenSSL AFAIK.

--
  Ned Deily
  n...@python.org -- []